Year Round Music Lessons
I offer private violin, viola, and beginning cello lessons for both adults and children. Currently, lessons are held at two locations – My home studio (York, SC) and Tillman Music (Rock Hill, SC). For information on my teaching style, please read below the scheduling information.
Lessons at my Home studio –
- 45 minutes each/ 4x monthly
- $100 monthly, due at the first lesson each month.
- On a fifth week, lessons will still be held so that make-ups can be predone, or “saved up” for future needs. If there is a need for additional make-ups, we will work this out individually.
- Held in York, SC
- Mondays (additional days available on a limited basis and by request)
Lessons at Tillman Music –
- 30 minutes each, 4 times monthly, $90 due to the shop at the beginning of each month
- On a fifth week, lessons will still be held so that make-ups can be predone, or “saved up” for future needs.
- Held at the shop in Rock Hill, SC
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays
You may contact me directly through this website, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (803) 741-4047 and I would be happy to answer any questions or set up lessons.
Growing up, one of my older brothers played violin, and since I looked up to him, it seemed reasonable that I would play violin as well. So starting in fourth grade, my journey with violin and viola began. In east Tennessee, string programs were included in the public schools, and this is where I was able to get a solid classical foundation in violin and viola. I played all through high school in both the school and community symphony orchestras, also working as a violist at area churches for big events, services, and weddings. When it was time to go to college, I accepted a small viola scholarship with Furman University.
After college, I walked away from all string playing, completely burned out from the pressure of competing in the string world at a collegiate level. Several years later, while living in Aiken, a friend asked me to try playing for fun with the church praise band. I reluctantly agreed, and have been hooked since! Today I teach lessons, direct string ensembles with Piedmont Music Academy, and dip my toes into the worlds of bluegrass and Celtic fiddle.
My teaching style is structured, but relaxed, and I want each of my students to enjoy our time together and to be able to have the skills to have fun independently. Since this is bluegrass country, while I start all students with skills taught to the classically trained musician, we can venture from there into either realm – classical (orchestral) or bluegrass/ Celtic (mixed jam). Both can be fun and rewarding styles to play.